Afghanistan: Raab questioned over evacuation deadline extension
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The five-year-old boy was staying at a refugee centre near Warsaw after arriving in Poland with his family on August 23. But a day later he was taken to hospital after eating the poisonous mushrooms with his six-year-old brother, who is critically ill.
The hospital’s director, Dr Marek Migdal, on Thursday confirmed the death of the five-year-old.
He said: “Unfortunately, we were unable to help both boys.”
The five-year-old had suffered irreversible brain damage and was not able to have a liver transplant like his older brother.
A 17-year-old Afghan girl was also admitted to hospital after eating mushrooms at the refugee centre.
She has now been discharged.
Prosecutors say the poisonings are under investigation, the BBC reports.
According to Polish media, an Afghan family picked the mushrooms and made soup with them.
Local officials have denied claims the evacuees ate the mushrooms because they were not given enough food.
Jakub Dudziak, a spokesman for the Office for Foreigners, said the refugees are given “three meals a day”.
He added that employees of centres had been told to warn Afghans not to eat wild mushrooms.
Putin slams US involvement in Afghanistan had ‘a zero result’ [INSIGHT]
Afghanistan crisis: Economy ‘brought to its knees’ [ANALYSIS]
Joe Biden’s popularity laid bare in devastating poll [POLL]
The young brothers and their family were evacuated from Kabul by the Polish military following the Taliban takeover of the country.
The Taliban swept to power last month amid the withdrawal of foreign forces.
The evacuation effort came to a close on Monday as the last US troops left Afghanistan.
Source: Read Full Article