Baby-faced tearaway on laughing gas turned car into deadly ‘missile’ at 113mph

A baby-face tearaway high on laughing gas smashed into a victim's car at speeds of over 113mph, leading a judge to say the victim must have thought he'd been 'hit my a missile'.

Shaun Tinsley, from Liverpool, was jailed yesterday (Wednesday, June 7) after crashing into Wirral man Paul Loller's vehicle on the M62 before smashing into the central reservation and fleeing on foot, leaving the innocent 61-year-old dying at the scene.

The 28-year-old, who was locked up for his involvement with a gang who trafficked heroin, crack cocaine and cannabis to Cumbria in 2014, has a history of motoring offences, according to the ECHO.

READ MORE: Nurse found dead cuddling pet dogs after tragic suicide pact with husband

He was convicted of dangerous driving, driving without a licence and driving without insurance in November 2010. But, the very same month, the teen was further convicted of driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that Tinsley was driving a grey 16-plate Mercedes CLA 180 at "excessive speeds" when he crashed into Mr Loller's silver Skoda Fabia shortly before 3.45am on Saturday, April 29.

"Mr Loller stood no chance at all. It must have seemed to him as though his vehicle had been hit by a missile," the judge said.

"You, in a cowardly way, left and ran off. You laid low and were arrested about a week later."

Ian Whitehurst, prosecuting, described how he suffered "extensive, severe injuries to his chest" and later died in Warrington Hospital.

CCTV footage taken at a garage on the night in question showed his car parked up and nitrous oxide cannisters being passed around the vehicle, while the driver was seen inhaling from a "black, round object".

  • Elon Musk loses world's richest man title less than a week after regaining top spot

His DNA was discovered on one of several deflated balloons recovered from inside the Merc alongside nitrous oxide canisters.

Paul Lewis, defending, told the court: "Nothing I say on behalf of Mr Tinsley is intended to diminish the palpable loss of the Loller family. What he would like, through me, to say to them is that he does not expect to receive and nor does he ask for forgiveness.

"He does not and cannot forgive himself. He knows he has wrecked their family.

"It was a reckless adventure. They were out in the car with no regard for others and no plan."

Tinsley, who sat with his head bowed throughout the hearing, had no licence or insurance at the time of the fatal accident.

Tinsley admitted causing death by dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident, failing to report an accident, causing death by driving while disqualified, causing death by driving while uninsured and driving without insurance.

He showed no reaction as he was jailed for nine years and four months and held a hand up to the public gallery as he was led down to the cells.

To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article