Bloke ‘scarred for life’ and vomiting in sleep after finding rat carcass in can

An unlucky peanut fan who found a rat carcass at the bottom of his lunchtime snack tin says he'll never eat canned food again.

North Carolina business owner John Rogers, 52, spotted a dark shape at the bottom of his can of Peanut Patch: Original Boiled Peanuts and soon realised it had eyes and a mouth.

John said: "As I kept eating and getting closer to the bottom of the can, I began to smell and taste something different.

"The odour had a raw flesh smell that reminded me of the innards of a deer when it is being field dressed.

What do you think about this story? Have your say and see what others think in the comments.


"This smell got stronger as I got closer to the bottom of the can, so I picked up the can and started looking inside."

John started shaking the can to check out what he thought was a bad peanut – but he had no idea.

  • Bailiffs arrive at mum's home to collect £4,000 debt that wasn't even hers

Traumatised Rogers said: "I reached for it and saw it was not a rotten peanut. I saw that it had eyes and teeth. I quickly realized it was as a rat.

"I did not know what to do. I felt very nauseous and shocked. I told some co-workers who were also completely grossed out."

John swiftly called can maker McCall Farms to complain, but they read from a script and gave him an email address to send the pics to.

  • Drones set to battle 65,000 rats that took over Marlon Brando’s island

When he did email the traumatic images over, John says he was disappointed to be offered only $50 (£36) by way of an apology.

He said: "I was very set back and insulted with such a slap in the face. I declined the offer."

Worse still, the scarring event took a mental and physical toll on John, who needed emergency care and suffered horrible nightmares after the shocking find.

  • Shop shortages bite as 'pingdemic' threatens to empty supermarket shelves across country

He explained: "While sleeping I had a flashback of eating peanuts and beans.

"Next thing I knew, I was waking up gasping for air. I had a burning sensation in my lungs and chest. All I could taste was vomit in my mouth.

"I panicked, it lasted so long, my girlfriend called the ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack."

  • Rollercoaster horror as dad and kids plunge underwater backwards after ride malfunctions

Paramedics checked out John, who refused to be taken to the hospital. Soon enough he was feeling better.

John said: "My children were very scared because my face was bright red and I was struggling to breathe, thinking I was going to die or something."

Yet even a year later he is still facing the consequences of the sickening incident.

  • Monster rat like 'Ninja Warrior' spotted climbing up food shelf in Aldi supermraket

Rogers added: "I am having flashbacks of that can and that rotten rat daily.

"I will not eat anything from cans anymore.

"It was so disgusting. I know this is a mental scar and struggle that I am going to suffer for the rest of my life."

McCall Farms have yet to respond to requests for comment.

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article