Canada to stop paying Prince Harry, Meghan Markle security costs in ‘coming weeks’

Canadian taxpayers have been paying some of the security costs for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

But that will stop within weeks as the couple complete their separation from the British Royal Family.

A spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Bill Blair told Global News that Canadians have been paying some of the security costs for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex since November 2019 but will stop doing so “in the coming weeks.”

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to re-locate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances,” said Mary-Liz Power, confirming a statement Public Safety Canada had previously given to the CBC.

“The RCMP has been engaged with officials in the U.K. from the very beginning regarding security considerations. As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as-needed basis.

“At the request of the Metropolitan Police, the RCMP has been providing assistance to the Met since the arrival of the Duke and Duchess to Canada intermittently since October 2019. The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced they will formally exit the Royal Family on March 31.

Source: Read Full Article