Coronavirus turns hot holiday destinations to ghost towns as tourists stay home

Some of the most beautiful and popular tourist destinations in the world have been left deserted as holidayers are opting to stay home instead of risking the rapidly-spreading coronavirus outbreak.

Usual hot destinations, such as Italy and Thailand, that might see tens of thousands of visitors a year flocking to them now resemble ghost towns rather than popular holiday destinations.

Photos show popular global landmarks such as Duomo Cathedral and Pattaya beach in Thailand deserted as never before.

Travel information is now being constantly updated for countries that have suffered have suffered outbreaks of the coronavirus, including the US, Thailand, Italy and France.

  • 'Selfish' stockpiling Aldi shoppers leave elderly man 'confused' and without food

Where travellers do still dare to go, and are permitted to go, measures are being put in place to limit transmission of the virus. Stadiums such as Paolo in Naples are being regularly sanitised to stop the virus from spreading.

This comes after Italy ordered a virtual lockdown across much of its wealthy north on Sunday, including the financial capital Milan, in a drastic new attempt to try to contain a rapidly growing outbreak of coronavirus.

The unprecedented restrictions, which aim to limit gatherings and curb movement, will impact some 16 million people and stay in force until April 3.

  • Coronavirus panic buying leads to Tesco rationing customers to five products each

They were signed into law overnight by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

The new measures say people should not enter or leave Lombardy, Italy's richest region, as well as 14 provinces in four other regions, including the cities of Venice, Modena,Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia and Rimini.

Read More

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

  • Phones help spread virus
  • Virus will last all year
  • 'Stop using cash' warning
  • Virus 'like WW2' says doc
  • UK prepares for worst
  • Loo roll robbery
  • Panic buying causes death
  • All you need to know about coronavirus

Conte said nobody would be allowed to move in or out of these areas, or within them, unless they had proven,
work-related reasons for doing so, or health issues. Leave has been cancelled for health workers.

He said overnight that the country was "facing a national emergency."

  • Man infected with coronavirus heads to bars saying 'I am going to spread killer bug'

  • Coronavirus volunteers to be paid £3,500 and infected with a form of the bug

He said: "We chose from the beginning to take the line of truth and transparency and now we're moving with lucidity and courage, with firmness and determination.

"We have to limit the spread of the virus and prevent our hospitals from being overwhelmed."

107,758 cases of COVID-19 infection have been diagnosed worldwide, of which 5,883 are in Italy. 233 people have died of the disease in Italy so far.

  • Coronavirus

Source: Read Full Article