Croydon police officer’s fatal gun attack caught on CCTV cameras, Met confirm

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

The moment sergeant Matiu Ratana was shot dead while inside Croydon police office was captured on camera, Metropolitan Police have confirmed

The horror moment was caught on CCTV when the 54-year-old was shot dead by a 23-year-old suspect – who then turned the gun on themself.

Scotland Yard confirmed the violent moment sergeant Ratana was shot at point blank range has been discovered on camera.

While the 23-year-old suspect is said to still be in hospital and in critical condition following Friday's incident.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stuart Cundy told Sky News the 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

He said during a news briefing at Scotland Yard: "Due to his state, we are not yet able to speak to him."

Tributes have flooded in for father and rugby fan Sergeant Ratana following his fatal shooting.

The officer – who was originally from Hawke's Bay in New Zealand – was described as "much-loved" by Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick.

  • Croydon shooting victim protected royals including Princess Diana during career

She praised her fallen colleague as "big in stature, big in heart, friendly, capable, a lovely man and highly respected by his colleagues".

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern paid tribute to the police officer online, branding his death "very sad".

She added: "To all Matiu's whanau (extended family) across the world, we share your sorrow and have all our condolences."

  • Croydon police shooting victim Matt Ratana's family pay tribute to 'fearless' officer

Earlier on Saturday, it was revealed Sergeant Ratana had been giving children rugby training hours before his death.

He had been coaching youths at East Grinstead RFC in West Sussex on Thursday night hours before his Friday morning death.

Club chairman Bob Marsh and president Andy Poole said everyone at the club is "utterly devastated" in a statement.

They said: "Matt was an inspiring and much-loved figure at the club and there are truly no words to describe how we are feeling.

"We would like to take some time as a club and community to begin to comprehend what has happened.

"Our deepest and sincerest condolences go to Matt’s loved ones, family, friends, colleagues and to our community rugby family at this most terrible time."

  • Police
  • MET Police
  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article