A dog's toes had to be amputated after they got sliced on a mystery object on a river bed while the pup played in the water.
Cali, a Staffordshire bull terrier typed dog, was paddling in a river in Bradford-on-Avon on Wednesday next to Timbrell's Yard pub when some children noticed she was bleeding heavily.
The owners, named as Sophie and Sharon, told Wiltshire Live: "I've never seen blood like that before."
The dog didn't make a sound when being cut despite the gaping wound she was left with.
Kind strangers offered Sophie a lift home to collect her van so that the two could take her straight to the vet and another onlooker offered Sharon a towel to wrap around Cali's foot.
Some concerned children ran to the pub to get napkins but Cali was bleeding so much, the blood kept soaking through them.
The pair have been overwhelmed with the kind gestures of strangers, explaining: "Nobody had to help us but they'd seen how much she was in pain."
One lady even sat with Sharon who was in shock.
She explained: "I didn't know what to say, I didn't know what to do, it took me quite a while to even think about ringing the vets. I just thought, what is going to happen to my poor little pooch?"
For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
The dog owners were told that Cali had a high chance of sepsis by Vets4Pets in Trowbridge, who then cleaned the wound and bandaged it up.
Sadly, later that day when Cali was home, her foot began bleeding through the bandages, so they rushed her back.
The staff wrapped up her foot again and the next morning she went into surgery to get sutures put in her pad.
However, while Cali was under, staff realised how deep the wound was and after observing the damage, contacted Sophie and Sharon to inform them that she would have to have an amputation.
Her paw is now left with only two toes, but vets have said that she will be able to walk again after her three-week recovery, although she will need monitoring.
Cali's owners said that the vets were "absolutely incredible."
Sophie and Sharon are also warning other pet owners to be extra cautious if they don't have insurance. Luckily, their pet insurance covered the cost of Cali's injury, which has come to over £1,000.
Source: Read Full Article