Photo: Courtesy of Girl Scouts of the USA
The newest Girl Scout cookie, the Raspberry Rally, is already sold out but is available on the resale market — for a hugely marked-up cost.
The big picture: The new cookie — described as a sister to Thin Mints with a raspberry flavor — was the first online exclusive cookie and sold for $5 a box, plus shipping.
- This week on eBay, there are several auctions of the cookies selling for $20, $30 and as high as $79.99 for a single box with many having extra shipping fees.
- A Girl Scouts of the USA spokesperson confirmed the cookies were sold out online and have been “extremely popular.”
- Cookie season is still underway and in some parts of the country is just getting started. Sale dates vary.
- The organization said in a statement to Axios they were "disappointed to see unauthorized resales" which deprive the Girl Scouts of "proceeds that fund critical programming."
Zoom out: Exclusivity and hard-to-find items sell big on online marketplaces whether it’s McDonald’s Happy Meal toys, Disney collectibles or just about anything with limited supplies.
More from Axios:
- Congress to consider making daylight saving time permanent
- Tooth Fairy pulled by inflation
- FDA authorizes first at-home COVID and flu test
Source: Read Full Article