Heroic snake-bitten Staffy rushed to vets after ‘protecting little brother’

Venomous snake bites left a dog fighting for her life as she "protected her little brother".

Staffordshire bull terriers Milly, five, and puppy Tonka, five months, were playing in their garden at the same time a brown snake was slithering about.

Their owner Madeline Mills from Queensland, Australia spotted Milly showing signs of venom poisoning and drove the inseparable pair to the vets.

Milly has remained at the vets since being admitted in a critical condition on Monday afternoon.

Ipswich paramedic Madeline told 9News.com.au: "Luckily I was home and had woken up after my night shift."

Within the space of five minutes of being bitten multiple times on the neck and legs, it looked to Madeline as though Milly was feeling the effects of the venom.

Madeline said: "She seemed to have protected her little brother Tonka, who didn't get any venom."

While "big sister" Milly stayed put, Tonka was allowed to go home on Tuesday.

In a desperate effort to keep Milly alive, she was given antivenom and put on an IV.

The poor dog is expected to stay at the vet for a few more days as vets monitor her condition for organ failure.

  • Mum fuming after 'petty' school sends daughters home as shoes considered 'boots'

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Madeline added: "As a paramedic, I've seen a fair share of brown snake bites. It's so frightening when it's in your own home and to hurt my fur babies is a different story.

"It just shows you don't need to live in the bush to encounter them.

  • MP bizarrely claims cow urine 'cures infectious diseases' and saved her from Covid

"If this was a child outside unattended for a few minutes you could only imagine."

Madeline urged fellow Australians to be extra-vigilant, regularly mow their lawns, and be prepared for a snakebite.

She continued: "Like any other Australian, you just have to be careful.

"It's important to learn the basics of snakebite first aid, and to know the number of your local snake catcher."

The offending brown snake, which was injured in the tussle with the dogs, has been removed.

Source: Read Full Article