Luxury holiday to Egypt left Brit woman at ‘death’s door’ in intensive care

A woman returned from her 'dream' holiday at 'death's door' after breaking down into tears on a private beach.

Twin sisters Anna and Jess Doherty splashed out £1,500 for 10 days at an all inclusive, four-star resort in Egypt where Anna later thought she would die.

Appearing on Tuesday's 5Star TV show 'When All Inclusives Go Horribly Wrong', the sisters explained how they both fell ill with a poorly tummy.

With Anna's pain becoming increasingly uncomfortable, she visited their hotel's clinic which she claims left her in a worse state than when she entered, the Liverpool Echo reports.

Anna said: "It was about the fourth day into the holiday all of a sudden I started to get really bad abdominal pains."

The pair were on a a private beach when Anna broke down in tears.

At the clinic inside the hotel, a doctor and a nurse failed to put a drip into her arm after suggesting she was dehydrated.

She was discharged after a glucose injection and prescribed some antibiotics.

Anna said: "The tablets they gave me were actually banned in the UK due to the severe side effects."

Anna spent the rest of the 10-day holiday bed-bound but when she got home she began to deteriorate.

She said: "I did start to gradually get worse, I was being sick nonstop."

It was at this point that Anna was rushed to the Royal Liverpool Hospital and was in intensive care for 11 days after her 'whole body shut down'.

Jess said: "I remember walking through and just bursting into tears, all her organs were failing, she was on a machine to help her breathe – I did think maybe we could lose her at this moment in time."

Anna said: "It was actually a scary feeling because no one knew why I was so ill.

"I was thinking to myself, 'Am I going to make it? Am I going to die?'"

Following extensive tests, medical staff at the hospital found she was suffering from 'haemolytic uraemic syndrome' – commonly caused by a complication from an infection with E coli 0157.

Anna underwent extensive blood plasma treatment in hospital and it still took months for her to feel better.

An expert on the show said it must have been horrible to go away on holiday and come back and be 'on death's door'.

Another expert advised viewers to always drink bottled water while on holiday and ensure all foods are fully cooked to reduce the risk of E coli infections and said to ensure they have up to date insurance and try to get home as soon as they can.

Anna added: "I definitely wouldn't go on an all inclusive holiday again just down to the fact of how ill I was from the holiday in Egypt and I would never want anyone to experience what I went through."

*When All Inclusives Go Horribly Wrong is on 5Star and available on my5.tv

Source: Read Full Article