Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s eye-watering security bill is set to soar to a staggering £20million a year, it has been claimed.
There are also growing fears the spiraling costs could leave police unable to cope.
One ex-protection officer told The Mirror: “This is adding to the Met’s woes.”
Experts have also waded in and warned Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, could create a security nightmare that sends costs spiraling as they earn millions while touring the globe.
Senior officers are understood to be drafting emergency plans to double the team protecting the Sussexes, who have all been in separate locations recently.
Buckingham Palace won't confirm if Prince Andrew has been stripped of HRH title
Meghan Markle 'spiteful' and 'has no status outside Royal Family', expert says
It comes as police forces remain stretched following a decade of savage cuts under Conservative-led governments, and the added pressure could put them under more strain.
Ex-Met protection officer dai Davies told the publication: “In their current state, the plans are unworkable.
Today's Top Stories
“Harry and Meghan’s situation has called for a complete ripping up of the rulebook and they are acting like none of the rules apply to them.
“There is already a severe lack of trained officers and this is only going to add to the Met’s woes.”
An internal report special there is a staffing crisis within the squad that protects the royals, which is now facing increased demand from the Sussexes.
Since the pair infamously quit the Royal Family, they have relocated to Canada and have taken solo trips between the US, UK – at times leaving all three members of the family in different locations.
Travel and accommodation bills and overtime costs are set to explode, with residences in multiple countries.
It comes after it was announced last week that Harry Meghan will “require effective security to protect them and their son, Archie”.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'to rake in £1billion with Megxit cash-in'
But, the pair sparked fury when they insisted the taxpayer should continue to foot the bill “based on the Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born a royal, his military service and the Duchess’s independent profile”.
Ongoing costs for the couple include guarding Frogmore Cottage on the grounds of the Windsor Estate, which they will use while in the UK.
The pair have also controversially courted global investment banking giant s – with many interested in booking the couple once they officially leave their royal roles on March 31
Source: Read Full Article