Moment huge cargo ship breaks in half killing two crew members before sinking

A captain has been filmed sending a distress call to ask for emergency help after his cargo ship snapped in half by heavy waves, killing at least two crew members on board.

The Palau-flagged freight ship, operated by Ukrainian-registered company Tesoro Marine, was broken into two before sinking into the waters off the coast of Turkey’s Black Sea province of Bartin on January 17.

A video showing the final moments of the ship Arvin was shared online and captain Vitaly Golenko can be heard calling: "Mayday, Mayday!

"My vessel is broken!"

The enormous cargo ship is tossed in the air as the crew battle in the stormy weather condition.

As it hits the water, the Arvin breaks into half.

Captain Golenko orders all the staff to put on wetsuits after one of the sailors shouts: "We're going down!"

The captain continues calling for help before ending the video.

According to Russian media, four crew members including captain Golenko did not survive the crash.

Their bodies were found at sea after several hours of searching.

  • Fishermen feared dead as 17 missing after their boat sank in Barents sea

The Arvin, whose owner was the Ukrainian company Arvin Shipping LTD, was sailing from Georgia to Bulgaria and carrying 12 crew members, two Russians and ten Ukrainians.

Turkish coast guard rescued seven sailors, six Ukrainians and one Russian, but one sailor is still unaccounted for.

A spokesman for Ukraine’s foreign ministry confirmed the incident, saying Ukrainian consuls were providing consular assistance on-site as operations to find four remaining sailors continued.

Bartin Governor Sinan Guner said that civilian ships had been asked to help with the rescue effort, but that operations were hindered by heavy rain and winds.

The Turkish defence ministry said it had also sent a vessel to help with the rescue operations.

"There are high waves, and because of the waves, the (rescue) boat can’t see its surroundings," he said.

"We are trying to reach them with directions from the shore,” Guner was cited as saying during the rescue operation.

Source: Read Full Article