South China Sea: Philippines ‘keeping options open’ says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The continued presence inside the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone of hundreds of Chinese vessels that it believes are manned by militias has frustrated Manila and drawn concern from ally the United States, among others. “We will continue to resolve the issues on Julian Felipe through diplomatic channels and through peaceful means,” said a statement from Duterte read by his spokesman Harry Roque. But it has since said it is keeping “all options open”.
An expert told Eagle News: “The Philippines department said on Thursday it’s keeping all its options open as a diplomatic row with Beijing grows over hundreds Chinese vessels in the contested South China Sea.
“Tensions over the resource-rich waters have heightened in recent weeks after more than 200 Chinese boats were detected in the Spratly islands where China and the Philippines have rival claims.
“The Philippines has said it is keeping all its options open including leveraging partnerships with other nations such as the US.”
It comes as China has maintained that Whitsun Reef, known as Julian Felipe Reef in the Philippines, was a traditional fishing ground where its vessels were seeking shelter from adverse weather.
China’s embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.
The toning down of the Philippine response comes a day after its foreign ministry said it would protest daily if China refused to withdraw boats that “blatantly infringe” on Philippine sovereign rights.
Duterte’s legal counsel warned of “unwanted hostilities”.
Defying public opinion, Duterte has sought to build an alliance with China and has been reluctant to confront its leadership having been promised billions of dollars of loans and investments, much of which have yet to materialise.
South China Sea: Battleship deployment discussed by Jones
He has repeatedly said the Philippines was powerless to stop China occupying features and challenging its activities could risk a war his country would lose.
In Duterte’s statement, he said differences in the South China Sea would not be an obstacle to friendly relations and cooperation in pandemic response, including vaccines and economic recovery.
The Philippines has one of Asia’s worst COVID-19 outbreaks but has faced difficulties securing vaccine supplies.
It has purchased 25 million doses of vaccines from China’s Sinovac and the two million shots it has so far form the majority of its vaccine inventory.
Taiwan to ‘open fire’ on approaching Chinese drones amid tensions [INSIGHT]
South China Sea: US scrambles to Taiwan as China deploys battle group [ANALYSIS]
Himalayas becomes ‘new South China Sea’ as Xi makes major move [VIDEO]
The Philippines’ defence chief said on Sunday China was looking to occupy more areas in the South China Sea, citing the continued presence of Chinese vessels that Manila believes are manned by militias in disputed parts of the strategic waterway.
“The continued presence of Chinese maritime militias in the area reveals their intent to further occupy (areas) in the West Philippine Sea,” Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, using the local name for the South China Sea.
It was the second hostile statement by Lorenzana in two days as he repeated calls by the Philippines for the Chinese boats to leave Whitsun Reef, which Manila calls the Julian Felipe Reef, located within its 200-mile exclusive economic zone.
Chinese diplomats have said the boats anchored near the reef – numbering more than 200 based on initial intelligence gathered by Philippine patrols – were sheltering from rough seas and that no militia were aboard.
Source: Read Full Article