Tesco ‘explosion’ sees store evacuated after ‘toxic gas released inside’

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Eyewitnesses claim an “explosion” has rocked a Tesco supermarket.

The blast was reported at the superstore on Newmarket Road in Cambridge this morning.

One eyewitness claims an air conditioning unit exploded, saying it released a "toxic gas".

It collapsed on the shop floor, but there are not thought to be any casualties.

Others claimed that it smelled strongly of chemical smoke near the shop.

Shoppers were evacuated before 11am and staff have cordoned off the car park, Cambridgeshire Live reports.

Last month, tributes were paid to a 13-year-old girl who died after falling from a roof above a Tesco Express.

A passing nurse got out of a taxi and attempted CPR on Sarah Short after she fell from the supermarket on Aitken Street in Largs, Scotland, on Saturday night, June 19.

However, the child, from the village of Fairlie in Scotland, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Her mum Gail posted a picture of the pair together, and other friends have since paid tribute to the "beautiful" girl, the Daily Record reports.

One relative wrote: "My beautiful Sarahkins."

A friend added: "Just beautiful Gail. Thinking of you all."

Devastated pals described Sarah as "caring, kind, funny and always up for anything".

  • Tesco

Source: Read Full Article