A number of critics of the Chinese government and President Xi Jinping over coronavirus have mysteriously disappeared since speaking out.
Since the first reported case in January, the virus named Covid-19 has spread from a local "wet market" in Wuhan, central China, to across the world, killing 2,129 people and infecting 75,753 more from 25 other countries.
But there are those that fear the true scale of the outbreak is being kept quiet.
A supposed leak on a website earlier this month suggested more than 24,000 had actually died.
China has also been criticised for apparently imposing a heavy crackdown on the flow of information.
One whistleblower last month was arrested after he exposed the true horrors inside Wuhan's hospital.
But, as Daily Star Online can now reveal, he wasn't the only one to be "silenced".
Coronavirus party slammed as 'tasteless' over cheap Corona beers and free masks
Man rams into coronavirus checkpoint after being 'denied entry to see parents'
Jin Yan, Nanjing resident
Yan criticised China's leader Xi Jinping in a video she posted on Weibo, China's equivalent of Twitter, earlier this month.
In the video, she boldly named Xi and condemned that he left the people in coronavirus-hit towns "in the gutter".
She added: "I'm not going to judge what he had done in the past, but now I can't help myself, we are talking about thousands of people's lives.
"At this very moment when we, people from Wuhan, were facing a lockdown on January 23, Xi Jinping was having a banquet in Beijing and celebrating Lunar New Year.
"Is this something what a human would do in this situation?"
Her video was soon taken down from Weibo and her name no longer appears on social media, suggesting it may have been censored.
Yan also hasn't posted or been seen since her critique of the government.
Chen Qiushi, journalist
Qiushi was one of few volunteers who rushed to Wuhan, the epicentre of epidemic, before the lockdown on January 23.
He had been actively posting videos and updates in bids to unveil a side of the outbreak which the state media had not been showing on television.
The journalist was seen openly the Wuhan government for allegedly suppressing information about the outbreak and delay of disease control measures.
The 34-year-old has been missing for 14 days after "losing contact" with his friend. His Twitter account has since been passed on to friends.
In the last video he posted, Qiushi said: "Wuhan government, Wuhan Police they owe those eight whistleblowers an apology.
"They were just reporting facts, and as a result, they were taken away by the police and brought into interrogation and forced to sign papers. This has violated their legal rights."
Fang Bin, journalist
Wuhan resident Fang Bin has been missing for 10 days after he was arrested by police and allegedly put in a mandatory quarantine.
He had been video blogging the city since the lockdown with one of his most widely circulated videos on February 1 showing a number of body bags were piling up on top of one another in a Wuhan hospital.
“There are so many dead people,” he said in the clip. “He’s moving bodies here.”
As he walked around the hospital wards, a young man told him that his father was dying.
Nine days after the video was taken, Fang was visited by police officers who asked him to follow them for a "temperature check".
He has not been seen since.
Source: Read Full Article