Three-year-old boy mauled to death by dog ‘loved being around animals’

A three-year-old boy who was shockingly mauled to death by a dog “loved being around animals”, his family has said.

Daniel Twigg was living on a Rochdale farm with his family who were renting their home where the incident happened.

Paramedics rushed to the scene shortly after 1pm on Sunday (May 15), to reports the youngster had been injured.

A 48-year-old man was arrested under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 after handing himself in to custody where he remained for questioning.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said of the several dogs seized from the property of Daniel's death, one cane corso has been humanely destroyed.

Police added that Daniel was with a number of dogs in the outdoor area surrounding his home prior to being found with serious injuries and enquiries in relation to the animals are ongoing.

Detective Chief Inspector Gina Brennand, of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “I send my condolences to Daniel’s loved ones. This is a heart-breaking time for them, specially trained colleagues are supporting them.

“Though a man is in custody, our investigation is very much ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident and ensure any criminal offences in relation to Sunday’s incident are identified and prosecutions sought.

“Meanwhile, officers are also reviewing other incidents of note. Due to previous contact, GMP’s Professional Standards Branch has referred the incident for review by the Independent Office for Police Conduct."

And his family paid further tribute to him overnight.

The statement from his relatives said: “Daniel was a happy, kind and caring little boy who was loved by all who knew him.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

“He loved Paw Patrol (TV series) and playing with his brother and sister. He also loved being around animals, especially his pony, Splash.

“He was brave, intelligent and full of many characteristics.

“Daniel loved being with his whole family and will be missed by all.”

The police investigation is still ongoing.

Source: Read Full Article