Video shows former Saint Mary’s groundskeeper leaving residence after alleged sexual assault

Warning: This story contains details that may disturb some readers. Discretion is advised. 

A video released by Nova Scotia Supreme Court appears to show former Saint Mary’s University groundskeeper Matthew Albert Percy leaving the residence where he allegedly sexually assaulted a student in 2014.

Matthew Albert Percy is standing trial by judge alone for the alleged assault, which occurred at a Dalhousie residence building on Dec. 6, 2014.

He has pleaded not guilty to sexual assault causing bodily harm.

Thursday marked the third day of his trial, which previously heard from the complainant who testified that she “clearly told Percy no” as he violently sexually assaulted her.

The woman’s identity is protected under a publication ban.

The assault is alleged to have occurred at Dalhousie University’s LeMarchant Place after a night of drinking in downtown Halifax.

Surveillance video of Percy

During Tuesday’s testimony, the complainant testified that she met Percy after partying at Cheers. She said Percy invited her to get poutine at a nearby take-out restaurant, before grabbing a cab to her Dalhousie residence.

Surveillance video of the pair entering the residence and Percy leaving the next morning was presented in court on Tuesday. The video of Percy departing was released to the media on Thursday.

In the video, Percy is wearing a brown leather jacket and blue jeans, and holding what appears to be a take-out container. The time stamp on the video is Dec. 6, 2014 at 7:55 a.m.

Percy can be seen taking a bite of the contents of the container while waiting for the elevator.

Another video released by the court shows the same man exiting the residence at 8:01 a.m.

Police officers, nurse take the stand  

On Thursday, the court heard from two Halifax Regional Police officers who were on patrol the night the alleged sexual assault was reported.

Constables Colin Graves and Geoff McNamara testified that they responded to police headquarters on Dec. 8, 2014 at around 6:30 p.m. after the complainant and her two friends reported the alleged sexual assault.

Graves testified that he took an initial report from the complainant in one of the department’s quiet rooms, where there is no video surveillance. Graves said his job was to take an initial report from the woman, but was not trained to take full statements from sexual assault victims.

Source: Read Full Article